Monday, September 26, 2011

Why Do I Travel?

When I travel (which is only about once a year because that's all I can afford) I always go on group tours, and usually I go alone. (Lest you get the wrong impression, I go alone because after 20+ years in the Air Force DH just isn't interested in traveling). People always seem to be amazed that I go by myself, but I'm not really alone, which is the reasoning behind the tour travel.

Anyway, I travel for a couple of reasons. I've always been fascinated with seeing new places, and even as far back as high school I had a wish to go to Paris. I haven't been there yet, but hopefully someday. I also find it fascinating to see places and countries that have been around so much longer than the US. Places like The Forbidden City in China, Sienna in Italy, or the beauty of Vienna Austria. How cool is that?? It's exciting to see places I've seen in movies, like Venice and Rome. Every place I go, I take a picture of the road or path where I'm walking. What could be be more emotional to think Julius Caesar walking on the same cobblestones by the colliseum in Rome, or an emperor walking on the same bricks in the Forbidden City?

Of course, travel is a learning experience, as well. I've been fortunate that the group leaders of each group I've been with has been an amazing well of information. History, customs, artists, architects.And how else would I get to have the pleasure of visiting a school in a small village in Costa Rica, watching the kids sing songs and dance?

I feel I'm so lucky to be able to travel like I am. Even though I may have to work overtime for a year in order to afford a trip, it all seems worth it when I get to see a new country and meet new people. A lot of people aren't able to have the opportunity to travel, but if you are, take advantage of it. I don't think you'll regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment